Friday, September 21, 2007

#001 IS SLAUGHTERING EVERYBODY ILLUSION?

Shri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was a great preacher and priest. His principal greatness was his capability to explain even subtle philosophical concepts with the help of simple anecdotes.

For those who are interested to read these beautiful anecdotes, I furnish below a link:

http://www.kathamrita.org/kathamrita2/k2sec24.htm.

I respect Shri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa greatly. Yet the sametime, there is a need to have an objective look into his sayings (written by others as said by him). I invite readers to correct me whenever I go wrong.

Like many traditional preachers and priests, Ramakrishna also did not say "I do now know" or "I shall search, enquire and tell. Till then we shall postpone this particular item of discussion.". He too depended on the usual "Maya (illusion)" of the almighty.

Around April 18, 1885, in the house of Shri Balaram Bose, at Calcutta. (Chapter 7, Vol. 2 of Kathamitra). Bhavnath asked him that in Markandeya Chand`i, the Goddess Chandi (Durga or Shakti) slaughtered everybody one after another and enquired what did it mean.

Shri Ramakrishna's reply:
"... It is all Her sport. I also used to think about it the same way. Then I saw that it was all maya (illusion). Her creation is, indeed, maya – and so is Her destruction ..."

BLOGGER'S VIEW
This explanation is absolutely inadequate.

3 comments:

Advaitavedanti said...

praNAm shrI YB-ji,

I came to your blog due to your comment on mine and perhaps, this is the only comment I'd ever leave on your great work.

Much like you respect Ramakrishna and still have an objective look at his sayings, I too respect your scholarly accumulation of degrees but objectively discard your *destructive* criticism and the desperate need to do so. Apologies, enough said, although I tend to ignore these things, I was tempted by your many invitations for comments, Sir! :)

Coming back to the point, most of the things voiced as mAyA are not done to hide ignorance or avoid Qs under shame, etc, but they are meaningless and counter-productive to sAdhanA, since they have no answers. There are no convincing answers to Qs that lead ad infinitum. Even slaughter and the like need not have a literal meaning, but could be figurative to represent bad tendencies. You may also appreciate that not one answer suits everyone and so, based on the student and for his best interest, answers are given, withheld or twisted by masters.

Nonetheless, I realized only now that all this too may sound funny to ya and I may be wasting your analytical time! Apologies again.

Ta :)

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

Thank you very much. No hurt to me. Pl. keep on coming and commenting. I have a goal of 100 posts here, of course if I can get adequate material and proof. In the meantime kindly read my

vivekanandayb.blogspot.com

Gokulmuthu said...

You see the explanation inadequate because you lack the perspective of Ramakrishna and the person to whom he told this.

At best you can say, "I am not able to understand the adequacy of the reply."