Saturday, March 1, 2008

#008 AVATARS AND MONOPOLY OF SHOWING GOD!

Here is a favorite quote of bloggers and writers from India:

"Higher and nobler that all ordinary teachers in the world is another set of teachers, the Avatars of Isvara. They can transmit spirituality with a touch, even with a mere wish. At their command the lowest and most degraded characters become saints in one second. They are the Teachers of all teachers, the highest manifestations of God through man. We cannot see God except through them, We cannot help worshipping them. And indeed they are the only ones whom we are bound to worship."


This quote is from his 'Bhakti Yoga, Chapter 6, Incarnate Teachers and Incarnations'.

BLOGGER'S VIEW
A world of devotional monopoly? Obviously, Swamiji may be referring to his own Guru Shri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. He wrote to Mrs. Ole Bull from Los Angeles on 17.1.1900:

" ... My powers I passed over to you. I see it. I cannot any more tell from the platform. Don't tell it to anyone — not even to Joe. I am glad. I want rest; not that I am tired, but the next phase will be the miraculous touch and not the tongue — like Ramakrishna's. ..."


BLOGGER'S VIEW
A clear picture is here. Swamiji himself is claiming miraculous powers, like his Guru. How is the Guru or the Avatara?

MASTER: "The sastra prescribes sacrifice on special occasions. Such sacrifice is not harmful. Take, for instance, the sacrifice of a goat on the eighth day of the full or new moon.

"I am now in such a state of mind that I cannot watch a sacrifice. Also I cannot eat meat offered to the Divine Mother. Therefore I first touch my finger to it, then to my head, lest She should be angry with me.


BLOGGER'S VIEWThis Avatara of Ishvara was afraid that Mother Kali would be angry with him, if he did not touch his finger to the goat. Had he really seen the Goddess Kali, he would have had the courage to ask her 'Mother! Do you relish mutton? Are goats not your children, like we the humans? Have you asked humans to offer mutton as food?'

No comments: